Words, sounds, pictures

Margaret Elizabeth Parks mep3 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Nov 13 16:43:08 EST 2001

I have a really strong sense of direction when I read.  I always know in
my head the general layout of the place, and which way everything faces.
I have a map in my head of Ingary, and I have a feel of the elevation of
the hills around Market Chipping. . . I've always been the type to study
maps in the front of books, but the place feelings in my head are much
much stronger.  (I just like maps in general--I've got about four on my
walls right now.)  I have the same sense of place in dreams, and that's
what I remember most clearly after I wake up--what direction everything
faced, and where it was.

Other than that--I apparently speed read (I've never met anyone who could
read faster than I could--this is not a challenge, just my experience, and
I'm sure that someday somebody will outdo me).  I read the shapes of the
words instead of the words themselves (I was just told the other day that
not everyone does this, so if I'm wrong, I apologize) and I guess that I
would say that the books show up in my head like dreams.  I know what
people look like and so on and so forth but I have to think about it to
know--the way I have to try to remember dreams.  And just to bring in
another topic (can't you all tell that I'm just now catching up on SO MUCH
email?), the first _fantasy_ story I _wrote_ was an awful awful thing
written in purple ink based on a dream.  It's too embarrassing to even go
into what it was about.  The first (fully developed) fantasy story I
created would have been the play I did in theatre camp when I was five: I
remember being extremely annoyed because the teacher and her guest were
impressed by the fact that I had a plot and everything! and paid no
attention to my fine, fine acting.  I have since discovered that I much
prefer writing, directing, and stage managing in theatre (when I have to
be involved in it) to acting, but when I was five acting was the thing.

lizzie