Words, sounds, pictures

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Tue Nov 13 05:05:10 EST 2001

Rebecca wrote:
>I have an extremely iconographic thought process for everything.  I learn
>class material in much the same way...

Which has sent me off on a complete tangent. (I basically hear books in my
own voice as I read them, and hardly ever get images unless I deliberately
try to picture something- though if I think about what something looks like
I usually have an idea, and actors in adaptations usually look wrong.) I
enjoy non-fiction, and I was wondering how those who read "filmically" find
it? What sort of images come up when you read things without characters and
places? If an article has illustrations, do those add to your enjoyment or
distract you?
Sorry for the nosiness, I had never thought much about differences in how
people experience reading and I find it really interesting.
Jen