Words, sounds, pictures

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Mon Nov 12 16:34:29 EST 2001

Phillip, in response to me, in response to Christian, in response to Ven:
>I get pictures too, but not as detailed as Rebecca.  I mean, I have a few
>snapshots of street scenes in Middleton - outside the school, the old cross by
>the station, the gate of Hunsdon House - but I couldn't draw Granny's
>house, for
>example.  But these tend to be much the same every time I read a book, and
>it's
>very difficult to modify them even if I find they'r wrong on re-reading.
I have an extremely iconographic thought process for everything.  I learn
class material in much the same way...But, yes, I have found that my
pictures will stay the same, even when i know they're wrong.  For instance,
Laurel took five reads after I realized her hair wasn't black to get to be
blondish, and it's still black in some scenes -- like the one where Polly
sees her watching Thomas' concert on TV.  And I have had a couple
situations (::cough, cough:: Uncharted Territory ::cough:: Reiner three
::cough::)  Where I've had problems adjusting my mental image of a
character's gender in the early chapters.  But it's primarily a subconcious
thing, that I may not even notice.  For instance I was reading Juniper,
Gentian and Rosemary waaaaaay too late at night last night, and i found
myself getting confused because my dorm room was really off proportionally
to Gentian's room, but until I noticed that I had been thinking it was a
less than good book for forming images.
Also, for those of you who picture books, do you find that books you're
reading near each other chronologically influence pitctures?  For instance,
Gentian's father's study in J, G & R is in a very similiar place to Mrs.
Murry's in a Wrinkle in Time, because that was one of the first times I
ever thought about studys being in houses.
Thinking about it I get a much better idea for floor plan than anything
else (anyone else noticce that the rooms aren't numbered correctly in
Westing Game?) and when I wrote one of my first serious stories -- for
English, a distopia about the overuse of drugs for psychological disorders,
based on the expansion of diagnoses of things like "Conduct disorder" -- I
became quite befuddled when the person with whom I  was colaborating didn't
think that making a layout of the house was an important first step to
writing a story.  I wonder what that means...
RDG

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for eventually
it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel