Words, sounds, pictures

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Nov 10 22:35:19 EST 2001

I've digging about in the recarts sf archives and came up with the
following from Lois MacMasters Bujold:

"I am and always have been a "picture reader"; the words go
straight to my brain and make a movie there. When I remember a
book, I (largely) remember pictures and events, not words. it feels
sort of like mental telepathy.

The news that some people stop and look at those "words"
cluttering up the page came as some surprise to me. I suspect an
almost biological separation of reading protocols here, like the
alcoholics who were discovered to have different enzymatic
processes for breaking down alcohol."

Bujold wrote this as part of an intense debate about the merits or
not of her writing style. The original poster criticised her on the
word level (where I too can certainly see some faults) and among
the lively defenses were several which said "but she's so good on
the macro level of paragraph, character and plot". And Lois wrote
the above which had me boggling at the idea of anyone not only not
noticing the words but regarding them as clutter.

Pamela Dean came into the debate at this point (prompted by
Bujold) to say that she doesn't so much "look" at the words as
"hear" them. Now, me, I think I hear the words and receive
sensory, not just visual, impressions, but its hard to watch yourself
reading.

Comments?

                                           Ven.

The truth will make ye fret