Book Recs.

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Sun Nov 11 12:46:39 EST 2001

I've just been reading two quite fun books and thought I'd share them as
recommendations to the list and/or conversation starters if anyone wants:
1.  And here's where I brag: I was in an ariport for the requiste two hours
(going back to school after break) and I wandered into a used bookstore and
they had absolutely nothing of interest, and I was about to leave when i
found a rather cheap copy of Light Raid (Willis and Cynthia Felice).  (May
I comment that I adore it when that happens, you impulsively go into a
bookstore and find a book that you;ve been meaning to get your hands on for
awhile?)  I've just finished it; it's a quite good, rather cheesy, hard SF
story, which is a lot of fun, although lacking in depth and scientific
accuracy.  It's predictable, especially in terms of the love interest, but
definetly worth a read.
2. I have stolen (and do not intend to return ;-)  ) my friend's copy of
Juniper, Gentian and Rosemary by Pamela Dean, and I am enjoying it quite
thoroughly ("We do not desire to have drug dealers building time machines
in our attic." and "'the chance of that is about as low as finding a comet
with binoculars' 'Why would a comet have binoculars?'")  A little more YA
than Tam Lin, it's immensely entertaining, although Dean continues with her
desire to have absolutely every character spout Shakespeare or Keats at
every opportunity.
-RDG

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for eventually
it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel