conversation starter

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Sat Nov 10 07:00:31 EST 2001

OK, I'm a bit late putting my bit in, but...

>>> Maybe we could alternate a DWJ book with a non-DWJ book?
>>Erm. Not to be rude, I hope, but this *is* a Diana Wynne Jones mailing
>>list. I think it's great when people suddenly veer off into discussing
>>Connie Willis or Jane Austen or what have you, but planning to discuss DWJ
>>books only half the time seems sub-optimal to me.
>
> I don't know that half the time is a good idea.  However, I think it might
> be valuable to read a few non-DWJ books that are in some way related to
> actual DWJ books.  In other words, to make any books we choose to read have
> a direct, substantive connection with the actual topic of this list.  For
> example, read _Fire and Hemlock_ and then another person's interpretation of
> either Thomas the Rhymer or Tam Lin (_Perilous Gard_, _Tam Lin_, or _Winter
> Rose_, for example).  Or _Witch Week_ and _Harry Potter and the
> Philosopher's Stone_.  Not just random books, no matter how good they might
> be.

Hmm.  I was approaching this from the point of view that we're probably mostly
pretty familiar with DWJ's work, and that this was an opportunity to use our
DWJ-fandom as a springboard into other sorts of reading.  However the point is
taken, and I agree that some thematic link between the DWJ books and the others
we read is a good idea.

For the first book I was going to vote for Power of Three, because it's one of
my favourites and I haven't read it for ages, whereas I read Hexwood a month ago
and it's not due for a re-read yet, but I'd be happy to read anything by DWJ...

More suggestions for pairs:

Changeover (DWJ) / The Changeover (Mahy) (Similarity of title)

Eight Days of Luke (DWJ) / The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul (Adams) (Norse
gods theme.  You could also try Holt's Ye Gods)

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc, City Point, 1 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited,  Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax           +44 (0) 2476 42 5432