Aargh (Library Rant) OT (but some ob DWJ)

Rowena Macrae-Gibson rowena.macrae-gibson at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Nov 9 05:03:42 EST 2001

Jennifer,
I think you & I should form a mutual appreciation society! My outer London
weighting (Brunel is in Uxbridge, Middx) is never going to help me buy a
flat! As you say, I like working with people and seeing how what we do
makes a difference to them (albeit in a small way). I care about doing my
job well. But even lecturers are underpaid, and can earn less than
teachers. I'm waiting for some of the 'education education, education'
money to filter up to HE. (And a knock on effect for those trying to enter
the profession: it doesn't pay enough to help them repay student loans, and
the prospect of taking out extra loans for the postgrad qualification puts
a lot of people off).
Anyway, in a desperate attempt to bring this back on topic, I've been
thinking about mentions of libraries in DWJ (not quite fish imagery in
Shakespeare, but never mind!) So far I have:
Fire & Hemlock: It's the Friendly & Helpful Librarian (hurrah!) who tells
Polly about the Four Muskateers.

Year of the Griffin: Several mentions of the Library & its weird cat
system, with a rather anonymous Librarian who doesn't seem to want to give
people books, and makes a note to tell the lecturers that their students
are making odd requests (uh-oh, Data Protection Act, anybody?)

The Ogre Downstairs: If Gwinny hadn't tried to go to the Library on her
own, she would not have got lost and would never have met The Ogre!

The Spellcoats: Stretching it a bit, but the coats are 'translated' by the
Keeper of Antiquities.

Can anyone think of anthing else?

Rowena
On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 17:14:29 -0000  "Rowland, Jennifer A B"
<jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> Rowena wrote: LOADS of things I agree with, snipped to:
> > I bet if I were using these exact same skills, but in a
> >profession other than Librarianship, that I'd be paid a lot more. As it is
> >I'm paid better than a lot of colleagues in other libraries, but I don't
> >think my salary reflects my worth or my experience, and there is no way
> >that I can afford to get on the housing ladder!
>
> Can we get a "YES SISTER!"? I'm in London, so I get London weighting. Big
> yay.
> I'll never in my LIFE be able to buy a house on my salary. I could go to a
> commercial
> firm and probably get about twice what I make now, but I *like* working at a
> uni and
> I like feeling I'm doing something socially useful. Our boss is great and
> just got a
> whole lot of people upgraded, but she can't change the whole
> underpaid-librarian
> culture.
> Oh well, I could be underpaid in a job I hate, that would be worse.
> Jennifer
> --

Rowena Macrae-Gibson,
Information Librarian, Brunel University,
Uxbridge, Middlesex. UB8 3PH.
tel: 01895 274000 ext2788
fax: 01895 203264
email: Rowena.Macrae-Gibson at Brunel.ac.uk