conversation starter

Thu Nov 8 10:54:54 EST 2001

On Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:44:28 +0000, christian nutt wrote:

>>From: Melissa Proffitt Rose_, for example).  Or _Witch Week_ and _Harry
>>Potter and the
>>Philosopher's Stone_.  Not just random books, no matter how good they might
>>be.
>
>please don't make me read HP1 again. =)
>that book is so dull! .. imo the series doesn't pick up until the end of
>book two and doesn't really get engaging till book four..

I agree, but my kids (who are very young and impressionable) think the first
book is the greatest thing since pepperoni pizza.  If anyone can tell me why
kids are such rabid fans of the series, I'd be grateful.  NOT why people
like it--I can see why it's popular, I just don't know why it's SOOOOOO
popular.  (I think I was reading for three hours straight on the day I was
sick last week.  That's a lot of reading out loud.)

The only reason I think it might be worthwhile is that we do sometimes
discuss Harry Potter here, and I wonder if a lot of us (like me) are talking
from the perspective of having read it a long time ago.  Anyway, I'm almost
through reading it aloud and I don't want to have to reread it any time
soon.

>though i am
>looking forward to the movie, since HP4 made me much more of a fan of the
>series, and i think a movie might do the book better than it does itself.

Funny thing, I saw one of the longer movie trailers ("meet the inhabitants
of Hogwarts School of Wizardry" sort of thing) and it showed a scene I'd
just finished reading to the kids.  I'm interested to see how the book
translates to film.

Melissa Proffitt