conversation starter

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Thu Nov 8 01:43:05 EST 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
|I don't know that half the time is a good idea.  However, I think it might
|be valuable to read a few non-DWJ books that are in some way related to
|actual DWJ books.  In other words, to make any books we choose to read have
|a direct, substantive connection with the actual topic of this list.  For
|example, read _Fire and Hemlock_ and then another person's interpretation of
|either Thomas the Rhymer or Tam Lin (_Perilous Gard_, _Tam Lin_, or _Winter
|Rose_, for example).  Or _Witch Week_ and _Harry Potter and the
|Philosopher's Stone_.  Not just random books, no matter how good they might
|be.

Yeah, I have to say that this is the only way with which I'd be
comfortable with it.  If we read a non-DWJ book for the purpose
of a discussion involving a DWJ book as well, that could work.
Melissa's suggestions work well, though my vote would be to read
"Howl" with a romance novel.  ;)  But just a general random book
discussion wouldn't really fit.

Overall, I really like the book discussion idea, BTW.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
Glory be to God for dappled things 	-- G. M. Hopkins