conversation starter

Wed Nov 7 13:02:25 EST 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:41:59 -0500 (EST), Kyla Tornheim wrote:

>On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Corrick, Georgia wrote:
>> Maybe we could alternate a DWJ book with a non-DWJ book?
>Erm. Not to be rude, I hope, but this *is* a Diana Wynne Jones mailing
>list. I think it's great when people suddenly veer off into discussing
>Connie Willis or Jane Austen or what have you, but planning to discuss DWJ
>books only half the time seems sub-optimal to me.

I don't know that half the time is a good idea.  However, I think it might
be valuable to read a few non-DWJ books that are in some way related to
actual DWJ books.  In other words, to make any books we choose to read have
a direct, substantive connection with the actual topic of this list.  For
example, read _Fire and Hemlock_ and then another person's interpretation of
either Thomas the Rhymer or Tam Lin (_Perilous Gard_, _Tam Lin_, or _Winter
Rose_, for example).  Or _Witch Week_ and _Harry Potter and the
Philosopher's Stone_.  Not just random books, no matter how good they might
be.

Melissa Proffitt