Aargh (Library Rant) OT

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 12:14:29 EST 2001

Rowena wrote: LOADS of things I agree with, snipped to:
> I bet if I were using these exact same skills, but in a
>profession other than Librarianship, that I'd be paid a lot more. As it is
>I'm paid better than a lot of colleagues in other libraries, but I don't
>think my salary reflects my worth or my experience, and there is no way
>that I can afford to get on the housing ladder!

Can we get a "YES SISTER!"? I'm in London, so I get London weighting. Big
yay.
I'll never in my LIFE be able to buy a house on my salary. I could go to a
commercial
firm and probably get about twice what I make now, but I *like* working at a
uni and
I like feeling I'm doing something socially useful. Our boss is great and
just got a
whole lot of people upgraded, but she can't change the whole
underpaid-librarian
culture.
Oh well, I could be underpaid in a job I hate, that would be worse.
Jennifer