Aargh (Library Rant) OT

Rowena Macrae-Gibson rowena.macrae-gibson at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 11:53:57 EST 2001

Well my career has been during the e-boom & the development of the net.
There's no way I could do my job without being IT literate & aware. My job
includes: IT training, staff training, database evaluation, advanced net
searching, advanced database searching, user education etc etc as well as
subject liaison. I bet if I were using these exact same skills, but in a
profession other than Librarianship, that I'd be paid a lot more. As it is
I'm paid better than a lot of colleagues in other libraries, but I don't
think my salary reflects my worth or my experience, and there is no way
that I can afford to get on the housing ladder!
As Jennifer says the profession is under paid and does not have a brilliant
public image (taxi driver yesterday, after asking what I did 'Oh I'd better
be quiet then'). It's worse in public libraries, where many professional
posts have been down sized to Library assisstant levels.
At least you lot seem to appreciate us!
Apologies for the rant, I am co list owner of a list for chartership
candidates, and I can bore for GB on the under valuation of the
profession!!!
How many stereotypes can I fit into? Librarian, Dr Who fan AND I read (what
others have dismissed as) 'kiddies literature!

Rowena
On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:01:36 -0000  "Rowland, Jennifer A B"
<jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> Many university libraries and computing services are merging, (anecdotally,
> computing people have a harder time with this than librarians- they don't
> just have to learn new stuff, they have to change their culture to being
> customer-focussed rather than technical-focussed). Many librarians are
> taking on more teaching roles. I don't know that much about the changes in
> special libraries or public libraries. Librarians of all kinds are typically
> undervalued and underpaid, so we are hoping that we can sieze the day, show
> how skilled we are at dredging meaning out of the e-swamp and become
> indispensable.
> Jennifer

Rowena Macrae-Gibson,
Information Librarian, Brunel University,
Uxbridge, Middlesex. UB8 3PH.
tel: 01895 274000 ext2788
fax: 01895 203264
email: Rowena.Macrae-Gibson at Brunel.ac.uk