conversation starter

Jennifer Forsyth jforsyth at equinox.unr.edu
Tue Nov 6 00:19:36 EST 2001

That had occurred to me, but it also seems that being "right" isn't always the
purpose of a discussion. Part of the nature, and the art of literature -- and
therefore the reader's experience of literature -- is that its construction is
linear. Addressing a work in chunks, then, seems natural. I think this is as
true for DWJ as for, say, Jane Austen, whose works, I would argue, are more
enjoyable when experienced/discussed a bit at a time. But I didn't really have
a fixed answer in mind when I asked, so this isn't meant to be a defense of
the right way for us to proceed.

Jennifer Forsyth