My first SF story

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Nov 5 16:40:45 EST 2001

In a message dated 11/5/2001 10:54:54 AM Pacific Standard Time, Philip Belben
writes:

> The first example of the genre that I actually put to paper as a story was
>  probably a fantasy called "twin trees", in which the hero found that
walking
>  between a pair of identical trees took him to another world.  I suppose I
> was
>  about 8.  I wish I still had this one.

I had a very similar fantasy, never written down, in which if you ran between
three pairs of trees in our local park (which were all sort of in a row, and
it was downhill, so an exciting run, especially since I think you were
supposed to do it with your eyes shut), you could really get to Narnia (or
maybe it was Oz -- depends how old I was when I came up with this idea, as I
read most of the Oz books before most of the Narnia books). I finally decided
that it wouldn't work because the pairs of trees didn't match well enough.

Helen Schinske