Wild Swans/Hans Christian Andersen

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 13:52:45 EST 2001

Another book recomendation -- Peg Kerr's the Wild Swans. This is
two, linked, retellings of the Hans Christain Andersen story of the
same name. One is a fairly straight transposition of the fairy tale to
17C England and America, the other is a tale of a young gay man
in New York and the early history of AIDS. I suspect people will be
writing papers on the thematic links between the two tales, it's too
early for me to process it all, however I can say the subject matter
is silence and endurance, predjudice, rejection and love. The whole
has a feel of those fairy tale retellings that Terri Windling edited, so
it's no surprise to find that Pamela Dean and Pat Wrede figure
largely in the acknowledgements. There is  a strong Samuel R
Delany influence (and I spotted at least one direct reference to the
autobiographical Motion of Light in Water) not just in the subject
matter and atmosphere of the New York tale but also the way in
which she handles the reflection of one tale in the other seems to
owe something to the Neveryona series.

SLIGHT SPOILER

In the original HCA story the heroine has to make shirts out of
nettles in order to save her brothers from enchantment, and she is
not allowed to speak until the task is done. After she has married
the traditional handsome prince the archbishop accuses her of
witchcraft and she cannot speak in her defense. In Kerr's retelling
her husband is the town magistrate and her accuser the town
priest. She adds to the story a convincing explanation for the
priest's hostility -- although he is not concious of it, he is in love
with the magistrate himself and motivated more by misogyny and
jealousy than religious zeal. Iirc there is a theory going around that
HCA was gay, which adds still another dimension to the work.

SPOILER ENDS

 This is Peg Kerr's second novel. I've just been rereading the first,
Emerald House Rising, it's nice enough buit she has made a
quantum leap withThe Wild Swans

The Wild Swans was always one of my favourite fairy stories but
until I read this book I didn't realise HCA wrote it. I've always found
his work rather disturbing. I was given a book of his stories one
Christmas and I remember how delight turned to dismay as,
expecting fairy tales, I found that something nasty lurked in so
many of them. What does everyone else think?
                                           Ven.

The truth will make ye fret

Terry Pratchett, The Truth.