Margaret Mahy essays

Jennifer Forsyth jforsyth at equinox.unr.edu
Thu Nov 1 16:23:44 EST 2001

I thought there might be some interest in the following on this list,
especially since it was here that I first heard of Mahy (thank you,
whoever that was!) And note how on-topic it even is!

-- Jennifer Forsyth

Call for Papers: The Fiction of Margaret Mahy (Collection 1/31/02)

We are soliciting papers for a collection of critical essays on the
fiction of the New Zealand writer, Margaret Mahy.

We welcome studies of both her young adult fiction and her picture
books for children, although the collection will be more heavily
weighted towards the former. We seek work which places Mahy in the
contexts of children's literature, fantasy, and New Zealand writing.

Thematic, formal, and comparative essays are all welcome. We are
particularly interested in essays considering Mahy alongside Maurice
Gee and Diana Wynne Jones, but are also interested in comparisons to
other writers of children's fantasy (e.g. J.K. Rowling, William Mayne,
Alan Garner, Peter Dickinson, Philip Pullman, Penelope Lively, Nina
Bawden) and to other New Zealand writers.

Approaches may include but are not limited to:

Mahy and sexuality
Mahy and feminism
Mahy and place/Mahy and landscape
Mahy as a New Zealand writer (in a local or international context)
Mahy and Postcolonial theory
Mahy and illustration
Mahy and narrative strategy
Mahy and Gothic
Mahy and the coming of age narrative
Mahy and the literary tradition
Mahy and race
Mahy and education
Mahy in the schools
Mahy and aging
Mahy and magic realism
Mahy and television

Abstracts or proposals of between 250 and 500 words are due by January
31, 2002 to:

Dr Elizabeth Hale
Department of Humanities, Social Sciences and Management
Wentworth Institute of Technology
550 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-5998
halee at wit.edu