The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subjectofWickedWomen)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue May 29 15:26:45 EDT 2001

Philip said...

> Rebecca Ganetzky:
>
> > Always remember, prepositions are not things to end sentences with.
>
> Why do people always go on about sentences?  Is a preposition something to
end a
> clause with in the middle of a sentence?

Which reminds me...

    I lately lost a preposition
    It hid, I think, beneath my chair
    And angrily I cried, "Perdition!
    Up from out of in under there!"

    Now, correctness is my vade mecum
    And straggling phrases I abhor
    But still I wonder, what should he come
    Up from out of in under for?

Sorry, can't remember who wrote this - but see if you can get more
prepositions onto the end of a sentence than that!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can do is
to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer