The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subject ofWickedWomen)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat May 26 11:59:01 EDT 2001

Paul said of literary-allusion-laden speech...

> Speaking for myself, I've never found it intimidating (when Wimsey
> does it, anyway; haven't read 'Tam Lin') -- only slightly annoying in
> 'Busman's Honeymoon', because I had to read with an open French
> dictionary at my elbow in order not to miss anything important.

Well, I don't find it intimidating either, probably because my family quotes
all sorts of things all the time anyway.  These characters seem normal to
me. :-)  Even if they do seem to have read loads of books that I haven't,
thus immensely increasing me to-read list.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can do is
to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer