Maps, was re a very deep Secret

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Fri May 25 20:01:00 EDT 2001

I wrote

> >To use a bit of semiotics jargon, maps are texts, assemblages of
> >symbols, in a sense they are all fictional as they can only model
> >reality. Consider, for example the shape of the coast line at
> >different scales, the smaller the scale the more indentation will be
> >shown. Maps are as subject to the processes of selection and
> >representation as any other text.
> >
> >So, can a map tell a story? -- yes. Could it be a fictional story? --
> >certainly. (I'm tempted to mention national boundaries here, they
> >are, after all, mere social constructions).

and Nat replied

> You bring up a good, post-modern (or whatever you want to call it)
> point.
Hey, wow, was I being post modern? I'm never exactly sure what it
means, but I guess it had the right tool kit to explain my thinking
on this occasion.

Map makers have traditionally worked with the assumption that
> they were operating outside of culture except in the most superficial
> sense. Sounds silly now, but that's the starting point which we start
> from: "pure" data. Study of non-western geographic knowledge, whether
> encoded physically or transmitted orally, has helped break down this
> idea over the last 10-20 years, but it's a long time crumbling, and
> it's hard for many of us (myself included) to figure out how to make
> a "good map" that doesn't presume limited omniscience.

It's funny how things come together. I went to a 25th anniversary
celebration at the archaeology dept where I did my degree. Among
the other things that I learned was that, although landscape
archaeology is a relatively new term, a lot of what we were taught
was landscape archaeology all along. We also had a course called
"the philosophy of archaeology" which showed us that there was
no such thing as pure data. My favourite example is the "LBK
Cullture -- these neolithic people left remarkably similar sites all
over Europe. In Nazi Germany they were interpreted as feudal proto
nazis and later, in East Germany, as, you've guessed it, good little
communists. "It was only on reading Nat's reply that I realised
where virually all my ideas about maps and map making come
from! (except the semiotics jargon, the tool kit, I picked that up
later).

Anyhow the thing about being a landscape archaeologist at heart is
that I always have a sense of time when making a map. When
designing cities I think about where the first settlement would have
been, the early defensive wall perhaps, the quays that were
avbandoned after they silted up, the once rich district whose big
houses have been chopped up into little flats and so on. Jennifer
mentioned how maps could tell the story of the industrial revolution.
Then there's the way place names in the former USSR keep
changing to chart the course of a different kind of revolution.

I've snipped everything else because Nat was spot on with his
comments.

Ven,

Whoever you vote for the government will get back in.