characters as political figures

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Fri May 25 19:35:14 EDT 2001

Nat said
> >Kankredin?
>
> I think of Kankredin (SPELLCOATS) as being more of a cross between
> Uncle Fester from the Addams Family, and Alesair Crowley. One of
> Joneses' creepiest characters. Can't think of a politician of the
> modern age who could match him. Maybe the late East German leader,
> wossisname... I can't remember. Or Idi Amin or Laurent Kabila. Large,
> ruthless, and misshapen from years of evildoing. James Bond's nemesis
> Ernst Blofeld (in the later movies).

Good point. I think Kankredin is such a baggy monster he'd fit any
number of monstrous dictators.

> What's peoples' vote for creepiest,
> need-to-go-take-a-shower-after-reading character in Jones or in other
> Kids/YA fantasy? Jones tends not to go for sheer horrifying evil,
> just because it's more interesting to have an evil character exhibit
> some sympathetic qualities.
>
> My vote goes to Carmody Bracque [sp?] in Mahy's THE CHANGEOVER: "A
> Baaaaby!" Brrrrrr...

Olga's pirate father in YOTG, is unredeemably nasty in my view.
Not in any way a politician though, just one of the nasty growths
you find under their kind of vegetation,
Ven,

Whoever you vote for the government will get back in.