The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subject of Wicked Women)

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 25 09:11:41 EDT 2001

Before I read any replies I'm going to send my own guesses
(I am assuming no repetition of authors, but I seem to want to guess
multiple entries by one or two authors, so I'm probably wrong.)

1.  There were five of us - Carruthers and the new recruit and myself, and
Mr. Spivens and the verger.  It was late afternoon on November the
fifteenth, ...(I've cut out the rest of that sentence as it makes it a dead
give-away!)

Guess: Connie Willis, To Say Nothing of the Dog (or maybe one of the related
short stories)

5.  Placetne, magistra?  (Answer won't go there until Becca and Cara have
read the book!)

Dorothy L. Sayers: Busman's Honeymoon (I think, but maybe Gaudy Night)

6.  O where is the queen, and where is she now?
    Go out by the oak leaf, with never a bough.

7.  Oh how I'd like to be queen, Pa,
    Watching my troops at review,
    With slippers of crimson shagreen, Pa,
    And all of my underclose new!

Joan Aitken, Dido and Pa

8.  I saw something nasty in the woodshed.

    There'll be no butter in hell!

Stella Gibbon(s), Cold Comfort Farm

9 & 10 are familiar, but I can't pick them

12.  In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real
men,
women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were
real
small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams..

13.  "I do not understand you."
     "Then we are on very unequal terms, for I understand you perfectly
well."
     "Me? yes; I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."
Hmmmm.. maybe Lois McMaster Bujold

15.  Jade plate,
     Six, eight.
     Fire that burns hot,
     Night that is not.
     Fire that burns cold,
     First silver, then gold.

Well it seems like a Susan Cooper - but I want to guess her later.

16.  "You don't look like any god to me, Christopher Heron!  You look like a
piece of gilded ginger-bread, that's what you look like, one of those cakes
they sell at a fair!"

Elizabeth Marie Pope - The Perilous Gard

17.  As if in sympathy Bran sneezed, and despite the danger, I felt a weird
impulse to laugh.  If we win, will our colds be in the songs?

Susan Cooper, probably The Grey King

18.  "Whose turn is it to die?" he whispered.
     He spun the knife.
     We chanted: "Death Death Death Death..."
     "There will be a death this day," said Askew.

Well it sounds like it might come from Time of the Ghost, by DWJ

Hallie.