The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subject of WickedWomen)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri May 25 06:40:15 EDT 2001

Collated, and pasted, and boy is this a fun way to avoid writing an
essay about Byron and L.E.L. (that one's not showing off - she's a
lesser known woman Romantic (possibly) poet(ess).  Although perhaps
lesser known and woman Romantic poet are tautological!)

And for *extra credit*, you just need to give the list rec/discussion
of each one.  ;)

>Dorian: You know what worries me about it?  I don't know very many
>of the answers,
>and about half of those that I do know, I only know because she's lent me
>the books they're from!

:)  You *just* missed seeing this, but I was thinking it what a
difference the books you took home with you would make!  And anyway,
I think most of the books you borrowed were only published in the
States (sorry - I meant not UK, I've no idea about Australia).  Very
annoying in what it does to the budget!

>Ah well, here we go...
>

>leaving spoiler space so people can post their own answers before reading
>mine
>

>Okay...
>
>>1.  There were five of us - Carruthers and the new recruit and myself, and
>Mr. Spivens and the verger.  It was late afternoon on November the
>fifteenth, ...(I've cut out the rest of that sentence as it makes it a dead
>give-away!)
>
>The opening sentence of "To Say Nothing of the Dog", by Connie Willis.
>Which I just started reading this evening.

& Melissa:

>_To Say Nothing of the Dog_, of course.  My only disappointment at reading
>_Passage_ was that I really, really wanted *this* one again.

I know just what you mean!  I think the blurb and teaser at the back
of _Miracle_ suggested that it was possibly going to be that style
(except for the very end), and I wanted it again too!

>>2.  Her mother was enchanted, Peri decided.  Enchanted by the sea.
>
>The incomparable Patricia McKillip--_The Changeling Sea_.  And as long as
>I'm glossing my answers, this was the first time I picked up on the second
>meaning of Peri as an otherworldly character, thanks to the recent
>discussion of names...my ObDWJ for the evening.

Oh heavens!  I never even thought of that - despite our talking about
this book!

>>3.  "Why did you decide to work with fads?"
>     "Everybody else was doing it."
>
>Heheheh.  I've no idea what this is from, but I love it!  Hallie, whatever
>it is, can I borrow it next time?

:)  You know what it is now, and you've got the loan!

>  > 4.  "And now I suppose that I shall have to arrange matters with
>>  Kaeso.  Jupiter!
>>  Why did I never realize how peaceful life was before you came!"
>
>Rosemary Sutcliff, almost for sure.  The Eagle of the Ninth, I think.
>Aquila's uncle talking.

Spot on - except that it's Uncle Aquila. :)  Such a great character.

>  >5.  Placetne, magistra?  (Answer won't go there until Becca and Cara
>>have read the book!)
>
>_Gaudy Night_.  Connie Willis made me read it.  Not personally.  But you
>know what I mean.  I read the whole series in a big swoop three years ago
>after my son's birth.

Actually, why did I bother witholding the answer?  It's pretty well
and truly given in TSNotD anyway.

>>6.  O where is the queen, and where is she now?
>     Go out by the oak leaf, with never a bough.
>
>Randal's song from "The Perilous Gard" by Elizabeth Marie Pope.  Which I
>just read last night.
>
>>7.  Oh how I'd like to be queen, Pa,
>     Watching my troops at review,
>     With slippers of crimson shagreen, Pa,
>     And all of my underclose new!
>
>This sounds as if it might be from one of the "James III" books by Joan
>Aiken.  Probably "Dido and Pa", since that's the only one I can think of
>that I haven't read.

Yup.  And one of my faves of that series.  Almost DWJ-ish in the
treatment of relationship with an impossible parent?

>>8.  I saw something nasty in the woodshed.
>
>     There'll be no butter in hell!
>
>Aha!  "Cold Comfort Farm" by Stella Gibbons.  "Worst fears realised.  Seth
>and Rueben too.  Send gumboots." :-)
>
>9.  God is in the details!
>     No stone unturned!
>
>Back to "To Say Nothing of the Dog"; these are both quoted ad nauseam by
>Lady Schrapnell (what a wonderful name that is!).  The former is a quotation
>from Gustave Flaubert.
>
>>10. 1. Optimize potential.
>     2. Facilitate empowerment.
>     3. Implement visioning.
>     4. Strategize priorities.
>     5. Augment core structures.
>
>Any management handbook. :-)

:)  Don't worry - it's not supposed to make sense!

>>12.  In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real
>men,
>women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were
>real
>small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
>
>Douglas Adams.  I think it's "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", but it
>*could* be one of the later ones.  (Have we all got our towels ready for
>tomorrow?)

And Rebecca said her entire first-hour class was bringing them in!
Whatever class is this?  (Love it already!)

>>13.  "I do not understand you."
>      "Then we are on very unequal terms, for I understand you perfectly
>well."
>      "Me? yes; I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."
>
>Bother.  This sounds rather like Jane Austen, but I don't recall it in any
>of the ones I've read, which leads me to guess that it may be in "Mansefield
>Park", the only one I haven't read yet.

>Northanger Abbey.  Catherine talking to her beau.  Her delightful beau
>who criticizes the over-usage of "nice". :)

Yes!  I'll probably add Catherine's saying that it *is* a nice book,
so why shouldn't she call it a nice book.  So glad Alexandra saved
Dorian and Elise from spontaneous combustion - I toddled off to bed
happily, not knowing of your pain!

>14.  "Do you ever feel completely itch?"
>
>Uh...no. :-)

>Hooray for Flip.  I use this expression now sometimes.

So do we!

>  >16.  "You don't look like any god to me, Christopher Heron!  You look like
>a piece of gilded ginger-bread, that's what you look like, one of those
>cakes they sell at a fair!"
>
>Back to "The Perilous Gard"; this is Kate yelling at Christopher right
>before he's sacrificed by the Faeries, and this is the line that finally
>gets through to him.

About 90% of that book is totally quotable!

>  > 17.  As if in sympathy Bran sneezed, and despite the danger, I felt a weird
>>  impulse to laugh.  If we win, will our colds be in the songs?
>
>Court & Crown Duett.  The two books with the funky covers. You know what I
>mean.  With Mel in them.  :)

:)  There'll almost certainly be more from those books going up soon.

>  > 18.  "Whose turn is it to die?" he whispered.
>>        He spun the knife.
>>        We chanted: "Death Death Death Death..."
>>        "There will be a death this day," said Askew.
>
>Kit's Wilderness.  By David Almond.

That one was solely Becca's - I've only read Skellig and Heaven's Eyes so far.

>Hallie, you've absolutely got to put "All the bees are ded" somewhere in
>there.

Sorry - I didn't bother to write this again.  It's there though. I
started babbling about this when you said you channel the spirit of
Daisy Parker, see?  :)

Only one unguessed - but I won't answer it quite yet.  It's a
recurring statement - much to the main character's annoyance!  (That
should help.)

Hallie.