The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subject of WickedWomen)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu May 24 18:09:44 EDT 2001

RE: The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subject of WickedWomen)
RE: The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subject of WickedWomen)Elise
said...
>I am replying to an answer of Dorian's with appropriate spoiler space this
time

>Ready?

>>13.  "I do not understand you."
     "Then we are on very unequal terms, for I understand you perfectly
well."
     "Me? yes; I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."
>>"Bother.  This sounds rather like Jane Austen, but I don't recall it in
any
of the ones I've read, which leads me to guess that it may be in "Mansefield
Park", the only one I haven't read yet."
>Oh I missed this the first time.  I think.....that maybe this is from
Elizabeth's conversation with the dastardly charmer Wickham (h or no h?)
when he and Lydia visit Longbourn after their shotgun wedding.
Dorian:
"No, it isn't.  P&P was my first Austen, and is still my favourite, and I'm
almost certain that this doesn't come anywhere in it.  Anyway, I just
checked my copy for the passage you mention, and it isn't in that bit.  (And
yes, it's Wickham with an H.)"

I'm very cast down that it wasn't that conversation - not toward the end of
it?

'Fraid not.  I checked most carefully.  Elizabeth is far more blunt than
that, and Wickham is mostly sheepish.

>But then...what is it? Definitely Austen and I just re-read P&P and S&S
last month. It's haunting me. What about when Elizabeth is 'making out
Darcy's character' when they dance at Netherfield?

No, not there either.  (Yes, I just got the book out again to look!)  In
fact, I'm about 95% certain it isn't in P&P at all.  It *could* be S&S,
which I haven't read in a year or so.  Or possibly "Northanger Abbey", which
I've only read once.

>P&P was also my first Austen and my favorite so we have a common interest.
If it comes down to who must, in secret and at great peril, memorize it word
for word in case all books are destroyed, I cede the honor to you.

<smiles>  Thank you.  Long before I'd ever read the book, I knew several
lines from it, due to my mother's habit of quoting things like "You have no
consideration for my nerves!" (which I can now cap!) and "There were several
much worse in the shop."

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can do is
to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer