The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subject of WickedWomen)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu May 24 17:41:50 EDT 2001

RE: The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subject of WickedWomen)Elise
said...

>I am replying to an answer of Dorian's with appropriate spoiler space this
time

>Ready?

>>13.  "I do not understand you."
     "Then we are on very unequal terms, for I understand you perfectly
well."
     "Me? yes; I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."
>>"Bother.  This sounds rather like Jane Austen, but I don't recall it in
any
of the ones I've read, which leads me to guess that it may be in "Mansefield
Park", the only one I haven't read yet."

>Oh I missed this the first time.  I think.....that maybe this is from
Elizabeth's conversation with the dastardly charmer Wickham (h or no h?)
when he and Lydia visit Longbourn after their shotgun wedding.

No, it isn't.  P&P was my first Austen, and is still my favourite, and I'm
almost certain that this doesn't come anywhere in it.  Anyway, I just
checked my copy for the passage you mention, and it isn't in that bit.  (And
yes, it's Wickham with an H.)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can do is
to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer