The Writing's on the Walls (Was: Re: On the subject of Wicked Women)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu May 24 16:47:10 EDT 2001

Gill wrote:

>I think that would be great. And of course there would be enough DWJ quotes
>to make it properly on-topic!

But those are all far too easy!  Ok - this is moderately on-topic
because I can remember a list recommendation or discussion for at
least every author represented here, and for most of the books.  So,
before there are too many to copy out - I did say this was work in
progress...

1.  There were five of us - Carruthers and the new recruit and
myself, and Mr. Spivens and the verger.  It was late afternoon on
November the fifteenth, ...(I've cut out the rest of that sentence as
it makes it a dead give-away!)

2.  Her mother was enchanted, Peri decided.  Enchanted by the sea.

3.  "Why did you decide to work with fads?"
     "Everybody else was doing it."

4.  "And now I suppose that I shall have to arrange matters with
Kaeso.  Jupiter!
Why did I never realize how peaceful life was before you came!"

5.  Placetne, magistra?  (Answer won't go there until Becca and Cara
have read the book!)

6.  O where is the queen, and where is she now?
     Go out by the oak leaf, with never a bough.

7.  Oh how I'd like to be queen, Pa,
     Watching my troops at review,
     With slippers of crimson shagreen, Pa,
     And all of my underclose new!

8.  I saw something nasty in the woodshed.

     There'll be no butter in hell!

9.  God is in the details!
     No stone unturned!

10. 1. Optimize potential.
     2. Facilitate empowerment.
     3. Implement visioning.
     4. Strategize priorities.
     5. Augment core structures.

11. It simply isn't done!  (That could probably be any number of
books unfortunately, so it's tough.)

12.  In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men,
women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real
small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

13.  "I do not understand you."
      "Then we are on very unequal terms, for I understand you perfectly well."
      "Me? yes; I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."

14.  "Do you ever feel completely itch?"

15.  Jade plate,
      Six, eight.
      Fire that burns hot,
      Night that is not.
      Fire that burns cold,
      First silver, then gold.

16.  "You don't look like any god to me, Christopher Heron!  You look
like a piece of gilded ginger-bread, that's what you look like, one
of those cakes they sell at a fair!"

17.  As if in sympathy Bran sneezed, and despite the danger, I felt a weird
impulse to laugh.  If we win, will our colds be in the songs?

18.  "Whose turn is it to die?" he whispered.
      He spun the knife.
      We chanted: "Death Death Death Death..."
      "There will be a death this day," said Askew.

19.  She traced a line down the side of her wrist with her finger.
"Io suicien lui damo amo," she said softly. "You are here in place of
the friends I love."

Hallie.