characters as political figures

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Thu May 24 04:29:03 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Nat Case <ncase at hedbergmaps.com>
To: <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 4:33 PM
Subject: characters as political figures

> >Kankredin?
>
> I think of Kankredin (SPELLCOATS) as being more of a cross between
> Uncle Fester from the Addams Family, and Alesair Crowley. One of
> Joneses' creepiest characters.

Exactly - Anne Widdicombe.<g> Actually, I was rather more thinking of him in
Crown of Dalemark, when he talks to Maewen on the train.

> What's peoples' vote for creepiest,
> need-to-go-take-a-shower-after-reading character in Jones or in other
> Kids/YA fantasy? Jones tends not to go for sheer horrifying evil,
> just because it's more interesting to have an evil character exhibit
> some sympathetic qualities.

Shine is pretty unredeemed. But I agree, most of Jones's villains have some
redeeming qualities. Mr Wossisname, who runs the Tours in Dark Lord of
Derkholm is very nasty, though. A sighted David Blunkett, perhaps. (I'm a
teacher, so I've suffered from Blunkett's cold ruthlessness.)

Gill