On the subject evil vampires

Fiona Haggart F.Haggart at btinternet.com
Thu May 24 02:08:06 EDT 2001

---- Original Message -----
From: Tarja Rainio <vierran at saunalahti.fi>

> > There was a TV series in Britain called Ultraviolet which was a novel
take
> > on vampires. It was quite good and was left really open for a sequel,
but
> > none appeared. Anybody saw it? I don't want to spoil it for anyone who
might
> > catch repeats on satellite, but it was quite intelligent, not at all
gothy
> > and set in modern Britain. The title reflected the fact that they could
not
> > withstand uv light, be it sunlight or a uv lamp.
>
> Yes, I bought the DVD about a month ago. I was a really good, modern take
on
> vampires (who, BTW, are never mentioned by that name during the series). I
> understand the sequel was cancelled because one of the main actors (Idris
> Elba, IIRC) was lured to the American version of the series which, AFAIK,
> hasn't yet surfaced.

No, the makers of Ultraviolet stated right from the start that they had no
intention of continuing it, despite the excellent response to the show
(stated in numerous interviews even in prepublicity). Two years later the
pilot for a US version was commissioned by Fox but wasn't consequently
optioned as a series. The pilot is definitely worth watching if you can get
a copy; it's not nearly as dark as the UK version but it's well cast in my
book (Eric Thal, Madchen Amick) and it would have been interesting to see
what changes would have been made to encompass the US season being three
times as long as the UK

Fiona