characters as political figures

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed May 23 11:33:19 EDT 2001

>Kankredin?

I think of Kankredin (SPELLCOATS) as being more of a cross between
Uncle Fester from the Addams Family, and Alesair Crowley. One of
Joneses' creepiest characters. Can't think of a politician of the
modern age who could match him. Maybe the late East German leader,
wossisname... I can't remember. Or Idi Amin or Laurent Kabila. Large,
ruthless, and misshapen from years of evildoing. James Bond's nemesis
Ernst Blofeld (in the later movies).

What's peoples' vote for creepiest,
need-to-go-take-a-shower-after-reading character in Jones or in other
Kids/YA fantasy? Jones tends not to go for sheer horrifying evil,
just because it's more interesting to have an evil character exhibit
some sympathetic qualities.

My vote goes to Carmody Bracque [sp?] in Mahy's THE CHANGEOVER: "A
Baaaaby!" Brrrrrr...