On the subject evil vampires

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Tue May 22 18:51:49 EDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001 17:11:45 -0500, Nat Case wrote:

>>>DId you see SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE? Besides the wonderful high-camp
>>>quality to the movie (I suspect the cast had a hoot making it), I
>>>like that it revives the darkest of film vampires, the one that
>>>really gives me nightmares (the shadow of the hand with the long
>>>fingernails... aieee!), the 1922 NOSFERATU.
>>
>>I'm not sure if its the one I'm thinking of, but I think so.  The one I'm
>>thinking of stars James Wood (Woods?) as the hero and is based strongly on
>>the novel _Vampires_ by John Steakley.  The movie is relatively recent and I
>>really liked that the vampires in it are *evil* and very alien.  _Vampires_
>>was written in 1990 so it probably predates the whole angsty vampire trend,
>>but I discovered it last year so I read it as a refreshing change.
>>Apparently I'm not the only one because whoever directed the movie took it
>>in that same light.
>
>Different movie, I think. SHADOW (released in 2000) is John Malkovich
>and Willem Dafoe (the latter as the vampire), and is based on the
>premise that Max Schreck (the original Nosferatu) was actually a
>vampire. Very very black comedy. The vampire is alien and wierd, but
>it comes across as wonderfully absurd.

Right.  Melissa reminded me which movie SHADOW is.  Unfortunately only after
I sent my post :).  I enjoyed the 1976ish Nosferatu (in a weird, campish,
foreign film kind of way), but haven't seen the 1922 version.  SHADOW seems
like an intersting movie, but so far I've managed to avoid drumming up
enough motivation to see it.

Jacob