On the subject evil vampires

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Tue May 22 18:11:45 EDT 2001

>On Tue, 22 May 2001 10:05:28 -0500, Nat Case wrote:
>
>>DId you see SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE? Besides the wonderful high-camp
>>quality to the movie (I suspect the cast had a hoot making it), I
>>like that it revives the darkest of film vampires, the one that
>>really gives me nightmares (the shadow of the hand with the long
>>fingernails... aieee!), the 1922 NOSFERATU.
>
>I'm not sure if its the one I'm thinking of, but I think so.  The one I'm
>thinking of stars James Wood (Woods?) as the hero and is based strongly on
>the novel _Vampires_ by John Steakley.  The movie is relatively recent and I
>really liked that the vampires in it are *evil* and very alien.  _Vampires_
>was written in 1990 so it probably predates the whole angsty vampire trend,
>but I discovered it last year so I read it as a refreshing change.
>Apparently I'm not the only one because whoever directed the movie took it
>in that same light.

Different movie, I think. SHADOW (released in 2000) is John Malkovich
and Willem Dafoe (the latter as the vampire), and is based on the
premise that Max Schreck (the original Nosferatu) was actually a
vampire. Very very black comedy. The vampire is alien and wierd, but
it comes across as wonderfully absurd.

Nat