On the subject of Wicked Women

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue May 22 11:18:29 EDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Nat Case wrote:

> Melissa wrote:
> >The Lady of the Perilous Gard is a different case.  There, it's clear that
> >she's a human who's been raised in a different culture.  There's nothing
> >intrinsic about her that makes her more or less human than Kate; when she
>
> This is why I didn't like PERILOUS GARD the first time I read it; I
> felt like it was "explaining away" Fairie, which to me seems beside
> the point. Faerie may not be real in the same sense that George Bush
> is real (OK, bad analogy...), but the ways in which it is/they are
> real seems cheapened to me by saying in effect, "No they were real
> people who thought they were different." Takes away all the otherness
> that to me is such an inherent part of Faerie as an idea.
Okay, I totally didn't interpret it that way. Or, rather, I *do* think the
Faerie were real people, but not *human* real people. I definitely felt
that there was "other" there; I thought the "oh, they were real people
bit" was "oh, they actually exist, they're not a myth, they *do* live
under the hill."

I can see how it's valid to interpret the Lady as being human, but I
prefer not to. It all seems kind of pointless if she is.