A Very Deep Secret

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Tue May 22 10:45:04 EDT 2001

>On Wed, 16 May 2001 23:07:11 -0500, Nat Case wrote:
>
>>Thanks Ven. I keep thinking I ought to go do some serious gaming just
>>because so many examples of what I'm working on idea-wise
>>(cartography as fiction is another one) keep coming back to gaming as
>>an ideal example. Maybe I need to go to a gaming con just to watch.
>>Thanks for the further push in that...
>
>Okay.  Cartography as fiction.  You have to go into more detail or...I don't
>know, I'll do something horrible.  You've piqued my interest.

Well, it's pretty off-topic, but basically the questions are this:

1. It is possible to create independent, free-standing works of
fiction in prose, in cinema, in theater, in various genres of
painting. Is it possible to do this with cartography? Maps
illustrating fictional worlds created elsewhere don't count, but I've
been thinking recently that game-board maps do (aha! ODWJR: i.e.
Homeward Bounders).

2. How would such a map be used and would creating a new way of using
maps in this regard shed light on we use fiction in other media?

3. A corollary: how much does fiction depend on character? Can you
create effective fiction in any medium without characters? If not,
what is a map-character?

Nat Case