Fw: [wicklowgreens] Fw: energy protest (very OT)

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Mon May 21 09:41:39 EDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Anna Skarzynska wrote:

|If you want to leave all politics off the list, why have you just declared
|yours?

presumably to point out that though we all are friends and agree
about literature, food, etc, that we don't necessarily agree
about politics.  It is easy to assume that since, as we all know,
all right-thinking people believe [insert belief here], and
everyone on this list is right-thinking people, that of course we
all agree about belief [insert belief here].  Therefore, no
political discussion unless it is pertinent to dwj or at least
children's literature.  E.g.,

  "those crazy Australians have just outlawed paperbacks!"

  "Do you think dwj is making an environmental point in Power of
  Three?"

Or even

  "does this kind of grass-roots action of turning off lights
  make you think about the way children often have to defeat the
  Powers that Be in children's literature?"

But (amusing as the ensuing discussion would probably be), we
probably shouldn't have:

  "the premier of Canada is moving the world Naywards because of
  the Policy on Butter Taxes."

  "The WTO is just like the wizards on Arth, ruining things from
  afar for fun and profit."

See, I'm not so crazy I think you can justify *anything* by
making it on topic.  ;)

although, the more I think about it, the more I think it would be
cool to have political discussions where the rules were that
anything you dislike you need to find a parallel in dwj, and
ditto for anything you like.  But I will fight the temptation
because it would it us have messy fights, even if they were
amusing.

if anyone disagrees, feel free to write back to me (privately, so
as not to start an on-list argument).  If there is a strong
desire for on-list politics then we can open it up for general
discussion.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
Start a revolution.  Stop hating your body.