Want a good scare

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Thu May 17 22:34:41 EDT 2001

> On Tue, 15 May 2001 18:48:23 -0400 (EDT), deborah wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 15 May 2001, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> >
> >|Check this out:
> >|
> >|http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23370-2001May13.html
> >|
> >|It's talking about Americans, but I wonder how other countries stack up when
> >|it comes to reading.  Now go find someone to give a DWJ book to.  You could
> >|be saving a life.  :)
> >
> >Frighteningly, the aricle defines "voracious readers" as those
> >"reading more than a book a week".  What am I, then?
>
> Yeah, that was probably the scariest sentence in the whole thing.  You only
> have to read one book a week to be voracious?  Wow.  I don't know--what's
> bigger than "voracious"?

"Loki?" "Or "Fire" who beat him in the giant's eating contest -- oh
no, thats Fahrenheit 451.

Although I did find the article alarming there have always been students
who try to avoid the hard work.  And, at a different angle of devil's
advocacy, to Hallie, while I value reading I don't believe everyone
should do as I do. I do deplore narrow mindedness and willful
ignorance, but these are qualities you can find among readers as
well as non readers. If it were different how much easier it would be
to change society........................
Ven,

If all the good people were clever,
And all clever people were good,
The world would be nicer than ever
We thought that it possibly could.

Dame Elizabeth Wordsworth, Good and Clever 1990