Hunsdon House

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Thu May 17 22:11:52 EDT 2001

Hallie wrote

> > Oh, and Hunsdon House is also the name of an old English folk dance.
> >  Which may be as useful...

I wonder if the tune has any words.

Helen wrote

> Very interesting! The first thing I thought of was "Hunts down," as in "Let's
> hunt it down and kill it."

That sounds so bloodthirsty, but listen to this that I found in a
Hertfordshire property guide:

In St Dunstan's Church, near Hunsdon House, is a brass plate
marking the death of James Grey, "parke and hous keper" , who
died in 1591. Etched on the glass is the hunter hunted: Death as a
skeleton stabbing Gray as he aims at a stag. Death is saying "Sic
pergo" -- colloquially translated as "I do as you do".

Certainly reminds me of Morton Leroy and his eventual fate, it gives
me the shivers.

I also turned up a Hunsdon House
nursery  school on my web search. If they offer music lessons or
anything artistic  there's no way I'd send a child there! And guess
what the nineteenth item I found was -- Charmed Lives 4, talking
about F + H.

Btw my computer is having problems and will only operate in safe
mode, which means among other things that I can't see the lh edge
of what I'm typing, which is making proof reading and editing hard,
so I apologise in advance if there are more mistakes than usual.
Ven,

If all the good people were clever,
And all clever people were good,
The world would be nicer than ever
We thought that it possibly could.

Dame Elizabeth Wordsworth, Good and Clever 1990