Want a good scare?

Ruth Pitt ruthssp at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 21:49:14 EDT 2001

>> But, for all the scariness of the actual facts and figures, I'm not
sure a lot of the points were that great. <<

Hallie, I know what you mean.  The Washington Post is the daily paper in
our household, and I remember reasing my eyebrows at a couple points
when I read that article in print.

I'm thinking that maybe the author had a hard time proving the premise
because the Washington area is actually a *very* literate one.  I was
looking around my Metro subway car on the way home this evening, and
about 12-15 people were reading books ranging from bestsellers through
scholarly texts to the Bible  (I was re-reading The Once and Future
King, myself).   Another dozen or so were reading either newspapers or
magazines.  A few nights ago, I even caught someone reading The Two
Towers!  And the number reading in the morning is even higher - in the
evening, the office workers might be suffering a bit of eyestrain, I
guess.

So, lacking any better concrete examples for the article, out came the
arch little remarks.

The situation is bad, but it's not *that* bad.

- Ruth