OT: Romantic characters

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 17 09:56:24 EDT 2001

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> Female characters are indeed often not as interesting as male ones.
> I think some male writers do not write women at all, just
> collections of stereotypes.

Extract from a love scene from _I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again_
(a sketch comedy show in which the performers were also the writers
and vice versa):

Her: Oh, Tim! You're so manly... so handsome... devilishly
     good-looking... so rugged... so strong... You're so
     devil-may-care... You're so brave... You're wonderful...
     did you write this?

Him: Yes.

Her: And I'm so plain... ugly... characterless and boring...
     did you write that too?

Him: Yes. I never could write for women.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."