Hunsdon House

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed May 16 17:41:12 EDT 2001

At 3:26 AM -0400 5/16/01, Voicebearer at aol.com wrote:
>Hunsdon House (_Fire and Hemlock_)
>
>Might there be an associative touch of 'Huntlie Bank', the edge of a
>tributary of the Tweed , where True Thomas lies as the Queen of Elfland
>descends on him by way of the Eildon Tree in the first line of the ballad of
>Thomas the Rhymer?
>
>F&H has debts, acknowledged by DWJ, to both 'Thomas the Rhymer' and 'Tam
>Lin', so I live in hope that this might be on track.
>
>Marie

Hun (tlie) + (Eil) don? Maybe.

Bit of weird trivia: while Tam Lin's Carterhaugh has been "located"
in several places based on local tradition, there are two probably
pretty accurate markers to the historical Thomas the Rhymer of
Ercildoune: one is a roadside marker of the site of the Eildon Tree,
a well-known local landmark, and the other is the ruin of Thomas's
tower, in Earlston, which has a cafe in front of it. I can send you a
postcard of said tower if you're really interested...

So it makes sense to have to create a new space for the Seely Court
if you're going to place them in southern England instead of the
Borders.

Have you noticed how the "familiar" spaces of Polly's childhood are
unnamed and anonymous in geographic terms, while the places where
they go adventuring is all "real": Bristol, London, Stow (yes I know
there's no Stow-on-Water, but it's pretty clearly Stow-on-Wold and a
couple other Cotswold villages thrown together. She seems to swing
widely through entirely made up places, even in "contemporary"
Britain, through basically real but agglomerated places (Jamie's home
city), straight on to real, visitable places like the London of 8
Days of Luke.

Nat