Chrestomanci's lives

Jenwa Hsung jenwahsung at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 13:17:55 EDT 2001

--- "Dorian E. Gray" <israfel at eircom.net> wrote:
> Philip said...
>
> > Paul, quoting Emma:
> >
> > > Before I start I'll leave a spolier space for
> LoCC and CL.

> but is there a
> Christopher has at the end
> in the safe and one
> Chrestomanci in CL : "I've
> > >
> > > The obvious answer (sorry) is that he lost one
> somewhere between the
> > > end of LoCC and the beginning of CL.
> >
> > I'd always assumed that he never managed to get
> back the one that Milly,
> sorry,
> > Millie trapped in the wall.
>
> If I recall correctly (and I can't check, because I
> lent half my DWJ
> collection to my brother, who has further lent them
> to his girlfriend), he
> had to leave the one in the wall, because Millie's
> goddess did really and
> truly require a life.  If you remember, Millie runs
> away with him because
> she doesn't want to be sacrificed to make way for
> the next Living Asheth.  I
> seem to recall that when Mother Proudfoot comes
> after Millie, she says that
> normally she lets the girls go and kills a cat or
> something to satisfy the
> sacrifical requirement.  And then either Gabriel de
> Witt or (probably more
> likely) Christopher himself says that she can have
> the one of Christopher's
> lives that is still stuck in the wall.

having just re-read LoCC over the weekend, Gabriel de
Witt gives Mother Proudfoot the life of his own that
had continued to lie where Uncle Ralph had shot him
with the gun from Series One, behind the ropes someone
had used to fence it off because it was clear no one
liked to disturb it.

whoa, not enough sleep, sentence totally incoherent,
sorry.  but it gets the point across.

though it is true that we don't know at the end of
LoCC if they do manage to retrieve Christopher's life
stuck in the wall, just that they do plan to do so.

--jenwa.