Want a good scare?

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue May 15 18:48:23 EDT 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

|Check this out:
|
|http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23370-2001May13.html
|
|It's talking about Americans, but I wonder how other countries stack up when
|it comes to reading.  Now go find someone to give a DWJ book to.  You could
|be saving a life.  :)

Frighteningly, the aricle defines "voracious readers" as those
"reading more than a book a week".  What am I, then?

Sadly, I'm not sure if I'd start non-readers on DWJ.  What do
people think?  Id say that clearly you don't give _Hexwood_ or
any of the really tangled tales to a non-reader, or any of the
really meta-literary books such as _Homeward Bounders_, but what
about, say, _Howl's_?

My undergrads (readers, but non-fantasy readers) hated Power of
Three.  It confused them.

They loved Harry Potter.

To be fair, they also loved The Giver.  But they disliked The
Golden Compass.  I almost cried.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
Glory be to God for dappled things 	-- G. M. Hopkins