Laurel (the one from F&H)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue May 15 12:02:50 EDT 2001

>Also #2, all of the names for Laurel and the old Laurel are recognizable
>allusions: Laurel (Lorelei), Mab(el), Tatiana, but I'm stuck on one:
>Eudora.  Someone help me with the allusion (I'll feel really dumb if its
>obvious, but such is the price I pay for knowledge.)

It took me a while to remember what you were talking about, heaven
help me!  All I could find out is that Eudora was one of the (50, no
less) sea-nymph daughters of Doris and Nereus, aka The Old Man of the
Sea.  There were a couple of references which had a Eudora as another
type of Ocean nymph.  Still no specific info about her.

What struck me as really interesting was the placing of the Lorelei
and Eudora names side by side.  Guardians and destroyers of sailors?
I wonder if this in any way relates to Polly, and how her name is
supposed to show that she's many heroic characters, but also aspects
of the Three-Formed Goddess - "an aspect of Laurel too".  Could there
be the suggestion that Laurel originally had the two aspects to her
nature also and destroyed or lost the guarding one?  I'm definitely
babbling, so I'll shut up now.  Here's the stuff I found:

The Nereides:
The daughters of Doris and Nereus. They are salt-water nymphs who are
able to prophecy through oracles. Like other nymphs they are depicted
as beautiful naked women, who live on the sea bottom with their
father, Nereus. They are the guardians of sailors, with whom they
occasionally mate. Most writers claim there are fifty of them, but
their number, and their names, vary according to the writer.

				**********************

ll. 240-264) And of Nereus and rich-haired Doris, daughter of Ocean
the perfect river, were born children (11), passing lovely amongst
goddesses, Ploto, Eucrante, Sao, and Amphitrite, and Eudora, and
Thetis, Galene and Glauce, Cymothoe, Speo, Thoe and lovely Halie, and
Pasithea, and Erato, and rosy-armed Eunice, and gracious Melite, and
Eulimene, and Agaue, Doto, Proto, Pherusa, and Dynamene, and Nisaea,
and Actaea, and Protomedea, Doris, Panopea, and comely Galatea, and
lovely Hippothoe, and rosy-armed Hipponoe, and Cymodoce who with
Cymatolege (12) and Amphitrite easily calms the waves upon the misty
sea and the blasts of raging winds, and Cymo, and Eione, and
rich-crowned Alimede, and Glauconome, fond of laughter, and
Pontoporea, Leagore, Euagore, and Laomedea, and Polynoe, and Autonoe,
and Lysianassa, and Euarne, lovely of shape and without blemish of
form, and Psamathe of charming figure and divine Menippe, Neso,
Eupompe, Themisto, Pronoe, and Nemertes (13) who has the nature of
her deathless father. These fifty daughters sprang from blameless
Nereus, skilled in excellent crafts.

(11) Many of the names which follow express various qualities or
aspects of the sea: thus Galene is `Calm', Cymothoe is the
`Wave-swift', Pherusa and Dynamene are `She who speeds (ships)' and
`She who has power'.

This second bit was from Hesiod's Theogony.

Hallie.