John Grant on Fantasy

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue May 15 11:46:59 EDT 2001

Tarja:

> I thought you might be interested in John Grant's (co-author of _The
> Encyclopedia of Fantasy_) interesting and provocative essay on Generic
> Fantasy vs. Real Fantasy which can be found at Infinity Plus
> (www.infinityplus.co.uk). DWJ and _Tough Guide_ are also briefly mentioned
> in it. Here is a direct link to the essay:
>
> http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/iplus/nonfiction/gulliver.htm#9

Thanks for the reference, Tarja!  A really excellent article.

One anecdote of which I was reminded when reading it.  I am generally very good
at thinking up witty one-line retorts, about 2 hours after I could have used
them.  But on one occasion, probably about 10 years ago, when I had recently
left home and was buying my own copies of DWJ books in my parents' collection...

[I hand Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Air to sales droid]

Droid:  Diana Wynne Jones?  Isn't she children's?

Me:  Well, everybody seems to think so except her readers.

Droid:  [polite laughter to hide puzzlement]

Philip.

prohibited.

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax                +44 (0) 2476 42 5432