OT: Romantic characters

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue May 15 09:24:25 EDT 2001

I'm not going to quote any of the earlier posts in this thread.  I deleted much
of the early part of the thread (mainly about film actors) unread - I'd just got
back from a couple of weeks holiday, and there was a lot to get through - and I
sort of rejoined reading it when some of our female correspondents were
discussing which characters they fancy, and whether this is a predominantly
female trait.

I must admit I occasionally fancy female characters in books.  But not very
often.  I don't know if it's the books I read, but interesting female characters
are hugely outnumbered by interesting male characters!  Just to check - do
female readers here find the same thing?  If not, my perceptions may be severly
sexist, which is definitely to be avoided!

I also tend to regard female characters who end up with - or even who are
apparently intended for - male characters as off limits.  (So if I were female,
looking for male characters to fancy, that would rule out both Howl and Rupert,
for example.)

That doesn't leave me with very many to choose from; I don't think I'd get on
with any of the Melford girls, although Imogen is probably my type, but I must
admit to a soft spot for Jenny Honey in Dahl's "Matilda" - before she came into
money and when she still needed a boyfriend to show her how to scavenge
furniture and stuff from skips (dumpsters, for our transatlantic friends)...

If I momentarily suspend my "off limits" restriction, I could very easily fancy
Maree Malory, and fairly easily Zillah Green.  Cimorene (in Wrede's dragon
books) is wonderful, but I'd probably get on her nerves within a few minutes.

While I think of it, what about Biffa in Crown of Dalemark?  No, I don't fancy
her - but she reminds me very strongly of a girl who used to sing in the church
choir.  Except that the girl I knew was dark haired, and I've always imagined
Biffa as blonde.  (Is this correct?  I can't remember.)

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970