Neil Gaiman (OT) (was Margaret Mahy)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 14 23:23:35 EDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Jenwa Hsung wrote:

> --- Anna Skarzynska <theania at freeuk.com> wrote:

> > Neil Gaiman writes all sorts of stuff - novels (Stardust and,
> > with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens), short stories and poems
> > (one collection is Smoke and Mirrors), but he's most famous
> > for his comic book scripts.

> for the record, there were 75 issues of Sandman, which are collected
> into 10 graphic novels.  plus, 6 issues starring Dream's sister
> Death, collected into 2 shorter graphic novels.
> they are nothing short of brilliant.

> the strength of the series is not just the quality of the individual
> issues -- it's the overarching plotline and themes and world.

Which is why you need to know that the correct reading order is as
follows:

Preludes and Nocturnes
The Doll's House
Dream Country
Season of Mists
A Game of You
Fables and Reflections
Brief Lives
World's End
The Kindly Ones
The Wake

(There is also an anniversary special wossname called _The Dream
Hunters_, but I don't know where that goes relative to the others.)

And the Death books, which IIRC come after the Sandman books, are

The High Cost of Living
The Time of Your Life

in that order.

Paul