Authors and Magicians

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Mon May 14 17:13:41 EDT 2001

>and I agree with what Hallie said but I wanted to add: Chill, Nat, I
>was only playing and how serious is that?
>
>Ven

Sorry Ven, I was mostly replying to Laurel and indirectly to Neil a
while back on synchronicity... and to myself a few years ago.

Of course, playing CAN be serious, and I think that's part of my
point; the line that gets crossed when play turns into earnest is in
social terms a dangerous one, but makes for interesting discussion.
Play that isn't at some level in earnest is just trivia, but I think
most of the play I enjoy is simultaneously safe and in dead earnest
(certainly a lot of "let's pretend" like Fiona and Polly's at the
beginning of F&H has meaning to the kids involved).

Fiction and play are similar in this regard... it feels like there's
probably a deep connection in there somewhere. Interesting idea to
parallel the kind of fantasy writing I was talking about to games:
are there any games in which what is being "played at" is itself
about games: rules-making, push-pull dynamics, competitive vs
cooperative play, etc.

Hmmm. more food for thought.

Nat