OT: Book Rescue, Ellen Raskin

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon May 14 16:42:15 EDT 2001

>Meliissa wrote:
>Anyway, I will keep watching ABE.  I get notices occasionally for some of
>the rarer stuff on my list, and I need to just filter out those Book
>Rescue  people.  Apparently rescuing books means encasing them in gold
>leaf with diamond clasps.
>
>LOL! Back when I was a newbie to online bookstores, I made the egregious
>error of buying a book I desperately wanted from those people, and I've
>been kicking myself ever since, as I realized how outrageous the prices
>are.  I get an email update every now and then of their new inventory and
>I read it, just to marvel at what they think people will pay.  I think,
>Melissa, that you just pointed ouw what bothers me the most about that
>place: the name.  "Book Rescue" brings to mind "Animal Shelters," which
>rescue and care for abandoned animals, and that bookstore does not have
>such a charitable aim. Not that it has to, I suppose, but the prices are
>just so incredible.

:)  I just don't understand what you two are talking about.  Today a
new offering from Book Rescue came up which seemed more than
reasonable:  $358 for a copy of Dogsbody.  Near Fine hardback with
Near Fine DJ.  And they have the *neck* to have the words BARGAIN
PAPERBACKS in the Keywords!  The caps are theirs, btw.

Hallie.