dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #309

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon May 14 11:41:21 EDT 2001

Ven:

>and I agree with what Hallie said but I wanted to add: Chill, Nat, I
>was only playing and how serious is that?

Mwah-ha-ha.  Polly and Tom thought they were *only playing* hero
business and just look what happened to them!

Actually, I was reminded of that famous reply by - er - someone
famous - a soccer team manager maybe?  which goes *something* along
the lines of:  Of course soccer isn't a matter of Life and Death.
It's much more important than that.  (or words  to that effect).
<sniffs in a superior manner>  At least OUR obsession/addiction makes
sense!

Hallie.