Margaret Mahy

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon May 14 08:48:43 EDT 2001

>>><<  Is everything by Mahy as good, and what would people recomend I
>>> read next by her? >>
>>
>>I love Mahy's work as well.   I would definitely put her in the same league
>>as Jones.  Someone else may suggest a certain order, but the 1st title that
>>jumps to my mind is "Catalogue of the Universe."
>>--
>
> I'd agree with this and also "The Tricksters".

Oh dear.  It seems I'm going out on a limb again.  Well, I think Hallie agrees
with me, so I'm in good company...

I'm afraid I don't put Mahy in the same league as Jones at all.  At the weekend
I finally got around to reading The Changeover; I enjoyed it well enough, but I
got a strong feeling of What's all the fuss about?

The Catalogue of the Universe is indeed good, but it is 100% teenage romance,
with no fantasy element at all.  Not that this is a criticism, but if you're
approaching from The Changeover, or, as I did, from The Haunting, it may catch
you by surprise.

Anyway, The Haunting is my recommendation.

Philip, who without the recommendation from the list, would have been quite put
off by the cover of The Changeover - Laura and (forgotten his name already) with
an enormous Carmody Braque looming in the background.

PS When I read The Changeover, I'd just re-read Hexwood.  At one point Braque
strongly reminded me of Reigner Two...

prohibited.

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax                +44 (0) 2476 42 5432