dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #309

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sun May 13 22:05:06 EDT 2001

Nat said
> here is no College of Magid Authors. There is a group of writers,
> >loosely affiliated, who like what the others are doing and derive
> >strength, hope, and ideas from each other. In THIS world, the world
> >of this internet message, they deal with agents and contracts, and
> >with the physical labor of putting together X thousand words. They
> >also derive some satisfaction when they have, in those X thousand
> >words, managed to explore the fictional world, which REFERS to our
> >world, in which Deep Secrets are explored, slantwise.

snip
> >Confused? See what talking about this stuff straight-on does? See
> >why people use fiction to deal with it?

Hallie replied
> A little bit - but then it's heading for late, and I'm a bit
> sleep-deprived anyway, and it would probably be better to leave it
> til later, but, it was too interesting.
>
> One thing that's confusing me is why you say this can be frustrating
> for the reader.  It seems as if you're saying that the writer of the
> book can use metaphor to explore all kinds of truths, but that the
> *reader* of said book using metaphor to discuss the book or the
> author is in danger of being out of touch with reality, or blundering
> into confusing the author with characters in the fictional world he
> or she has created.
>
> Which seems a bit - well, needlessly worrying? not trusting the
> intelligence of the reader?  something like that. To me, at any rate.
> But I'm not sure I quite got what you were saying in the first place.

and I agree with what Hallie said but I wanted to add: Chill, Nat, I
was only playing and how serious is that?

Ven,

If all the good people were clever,
And all clever people were good,
The world would be nicer than ever
We thought that it possibly could.

Dame Elizabeth Wordsworth, Good and Clever 1990