A Very Deep Secret

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Thu May 10 21:22:59 EDT 2001

How could I have forgotten? I said the last time I was in Bristol was
visiting my brother at uni but I was there later too, and there's a tale
of bad driving -- a sort of travel jinx tale.

Four friends and I wanted to go to Bristol for an anarcho feminist
conference. There was a van available, but nobody had passed
their test. One of us however had been getting away with driving
without a license  for several years, and another was close to
taking her test. Yeah, I know it was sillier than reading while driving
but we decided to risk it. Btw while I admit equal complicity I
wasn't one of the drivers. And what nearly happened wasn't our
fault. We were driving along the motorway, least experienced driver
at the wheell when we noticed all the other cars had pulled over
into one lane "Why have they done that?" everyone said before the
reason became only too clear -- some eejit was driving  in the
wrong direction, on the motorway, heading straight for us -- the
only eejits who hadn't taken the cue to pull over. Thankfully other
kind drivers made room for our little van to get to safety.

This was a visit to the other Bristol of run down streets, bright
graffiti squats and dogs on string. (Plenty of students there too, of
course). Ittook us ages to find the venue, too,  because on the
photocopied piece of map it occupied a corner, which doesn't make
it easy to find dsomewhere. Nor does the fact that we (alright then,
I) mistook the railway for a road that we mysteriously couldn't get
onto. No, I don't get on with maps................................

Ven,

If all the good people were clever,
And all clever people were good,
The world would be nicer than ever
We thought that it possibly could.

Dame Elizabeth Wordsworth, Good and Clever 1990